Sunday, February 20, 2011

Creeking Gear Review - To Pass the Time While Videos Render

So, while I work on the video from the last few days of fun, I figured I would write a review of some of the gear that I got for creeking this season.

Pyranha Everest:
So after my three swim day on the Middle Fork out of a Dragorossi Mafia last month, I decided that it was time that I invest on a real creek boat before I start getting on harder and more consequential runs.  I picked up the Everest in January, and since getting it, I have had the opportunity to try it out on: Toyota Falls, Muddy Creek (EFL and LF runs), Bear Creek, Lower Big Sandy, Fike Run, Top Yough, and Meadow Run.  When it comes to speed, the boat is very fast.  I sometimes find myself on other people's sterns because the boat is fast and doesn't hang up much on rocks.  I've never paddled a Burn, neither the old or new one.  I sat in a 2010 large Burn at the pool once, but that is the extent of my experience so I can't compare it.  What I can say is that it ISN'T just an XL Burn.  Side by side, there is only a hair difference in size between the two boats, but the Everest seems to have a little more rocker and volume, as well as a softer edge in the front of the boat.  This makes the boat pretty forgiving as I tend to bounce off of everything that I hit.  The one except was the Little Spat rock, where I managed to hit it dead on, carp a few rolls, and swim, but hey, everyone does it.

With the performance coming from the back of the boat, the Everest carves and snaps into eddies as easy as my playboat when the edge is engaged.  When it comes to boofing, the speed and the bow rocker make it a boof machine and resurfaces super quickly/doesn't go completely under at all.  During the approach to Wonder Falls today, I managed to get offline and slam sideways into the big hole at the bottom of the rapid.  Got windowshaded, and surfed for enough time to not want to be in the hole any longer.  I was quite surprised how well the Everest surfed out of the hole without much effort.

Basically, it's sweet.  I love it, and I hope Pyranha keeps making them for years to come, because I'm going to go through a few of them living in WV.  In case you were wondering, I'm 5'9", 190 pounds give or take, I have a 32" inseam, and I tend to carry 10-15 pounds of gear in the boat with me (unpin kit, first aid, dry box with camera gear, snacks).

Werner Powerhouse:
Huge fan of Werner Paddles, since I've been using a Sidekick for the past year for playboating, I decided it was time to upgrade to the Powerhouse for creeking.  My Sidekick is 191cm, bent shaft, and fiberglass; the Powerhouse is a 197cm.  For power, the extra length is amazing.  Very surprised how much more reach I get with extra length.  Also, the blades on the Powerhouse don't "grab" and mess me up like I've noticed when I used the Sidekick for creeking, even though the Powerhouse is a longer paddle.  Not going to write much else, except the FG blades scratch relatively easy.  I've had the paddle for a few days and it looks like some friends' paddles that they have had for a few years. (I am abusive to paddles) The carbon model takes this abuse better, but my opinion is, and yours may be different is that I'm probably going to break it anyways so might as well have it be a cheaper one.  That, and buy a new one more frequently than have a carbon paddle with blades the size of the step down.  The carbon ones are also lighter, but at 190, I could care less.

Other useful things:
SR Tsunami Elbow Pads - My elbows aren't broken, but they aren't the most comfortable pads.
Pelican Dry Box - My HD camcorder, helmet cam, point and shoot, and iPhone are still functioning
Shred Ready Full Face - I broke it, but shit, I still have my teeth.  My next one will be carbon though.
IR MicroWave Handwarmer Pogies - Warm and Wonderful (which is different from Wild, Wonderful WV, if you were wondering)

More stuff to review in the future, such as my camera gear, new IR Lucky Charm skirt, and the IR Wrist Warmers!

SYOTR

No comments:

Post a Comment